In a recent post (Margaret Jane Phalen), I realized that I had omitted to write a post listing all the children of Andrew Jackson Phalen and his wife, Mary Jane Kimbleton (or Foster, whichever you prefer to believe). I should reiterate that Andrew Jackson was the only living son of his parents, Andrew Phalen and Elisabeth Finkemeijer therefore, individuals living in the Kanawha Valley bearing the last name Phalen most likely descended from this couple.
The names listed below were taken from more than one source: a) Census records; (b) vital records, such as births, deaths, and marriages; and (c) tombstones. Without further ado, here are the names of all the children I have discovered to date in chronological order:
- Annie Belle Phalen (often confused as Annie Bellimus): b. 1868, d. 1917, m. Henry Lewis Caruthers;
- Susanna Elizabeth Isabelle Phalen: b. 1870, d. 1887 (childbirth); m. Thomas Carpenter Hedrick;
- Andrew Ellison Phalen: b. 1871, d. 1933, m. Almerta “Myrtle” Mease;
- Margaret Jane Phalen: b. 1873, d. 1940, m. William Kistner;
- Emma Dean Phalen: b. 1875, d. 1956, m. Bradford Wheeler Blankenship;
- Mary Della Phalen: b. 1878, d. unknown, m1. Marcus Wood Click; m2. William H. Caruthers; m3. Horace Greely Blankenship;
- John Henry Phalen: b. 1879, d. 1948, m. Mary Ethel Harmon;
- Minnie M. Phalen: b. 1881, d. 1881.
- William Edward Phalen: b. 1883, d. 1951, m. Ola Williams;
- Elisha Phalen: b. 1885, d. 1885, twin of Elijah;
- Elijah Phalen: b. 1885, d. 1945, m. Joyce Jane Williams;
- Rilla L. Phalen: b. 1887, d. 1963, m. William Ohley Fields;
- Alcaney Phalen: b. 1889, d. 1890, (taken from the headstone at Varner Cemetery. He shared a headstone with his brother Elisha);
- Ebenezer Benjamin Phalen: b. 1891, d. 1970, m. Anna Clyde Esque.
You’ll notice that Andrew Jackson Phalen is not listed in the same household as his wife Mary Jane Phalen (listed as widowed with the younger children starting with John Henry Phalen) in 1900. He is, however, listed in the same household as son-in-law and daughter, Henry L. Caruthers and Annie Belle as “married,” his status is given as “boarder.” Andrew Jackson outlived his wife Mary Jane and went on to marry a second time to Mary Ann West on 30 August 1906. No children were born to them, most likely due to age. Mary Ann West is buried at Varner Cemetery in Poca, WV.
It is my intention to write a post about each of the individual children listed above as time and resources permit.